Data Management with SAP MDG
How do you manage to monitor your company's master data in times of Big Data? For this purpose, there are a variety of more or less efficient data management tools on the market. In the SAP environment, the SAP Master Data Governance (MDG) solution is establishing itself as a high-quality and easily integrated favorite.
Data Management With SAP MDG
SAP Master Data Governance is a central tool from SAP for harmonizing and managing master data. One of the biggest advantages of MDG is that it allows SAP-experienced users to start quickly and easily. Various predefined domains enable the out-of-the-box solution to be quickly integrated into your company.
What is SAP MDG?
Master data can be products, materials, cost centers or information about business partners, customers or suppliers, for instance. To easily manage and maintain this master data, SAP relies on the integrated master data tool SAP Master Data Governance. The main objective of this solution is to achieve high data quality in your system landscape. This is ensured by transparent processes, duplicate checks, and approval procedures, among others. The solution also complies with current legal requirements such as the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). MDG can be flexibly deployed as a separate hub system (hub deployment) or integrated in an SAP ERP or S/4HANA system (co-deployment). Additionally, it is possible to adopt a hybrid approach in which both options (hub and co-deployment) are applied.
Features and Benefits of SAP Master Data Governance
With SAP MDG, you control your data processes in a uniform and automated manner. As a result, you benefit from significantly reduced maintenance efforts as well as reliable and high-quality data. Faster processes and lower costs are the logical consequence.
In essence, the SAP master data tool scores with the following benefits:
- High data quality: Say goodbye to incorrect or duplicate data records. The MDG system includes comprehensive Data Quality Management (DQM) and various analysis functions. This determines and improves the quality of your data. The purpose is to identify rudimentary data records and initiate change processes. Current compliance and governance requirements are complied with SAP MDG.
- Uniform data situation: Your data is located in different systems (non-SAP, SAP)? MDG creates a uniform data situation for you. During the consolidation performed for this purpose, your data is first standardized and then compared to identify possible duplicates. Once the data comparison is complete, the best data record is selected as Best Record. Missing data can then be validated and added.
- Simple integration: You don't have to wait long for your data management tool. As an out-of-the-box solution, MDG offers predefined data models, user interfaces and workflows for the master data objects Financials, Material, Business partner, Customer, Supplier as well as Customer-specific objects. Tight integration with an existing SAP ERP is also easily possible.
- Automated processes: The SAP tool facilitates data maintenance and data management with automated workflows. Workflows can be customized, which saves time and money.
- Individual user experience: Modern and reliable - the user interfaces and functions of SAP MDG are customizable, configurable and personalizable.
SAP MDG - the new MDM?
Some users are surprised that SAP currently offers two solutions for master data management: SAP Master Data Management (MDM) and SAP Master Data Governance (MDG). Which tool is right for your business? And what is the difference between SAP MDM and SAP MDG?
SAP MDM has been on the market much longer than SAP MDG. With the release of SAP MDG, SAP is primarily responding to increased governance and compliance requirements. The fact that SAP MDM is currently still being maintained but no longer developed further also leads to a clear recommendation of the use of SAP MDG - which, according to our consultants, can be described as the new, improved SAP MDM.
Data Management by CONET
Do you want to optimize the management of your master data, are looking for a suitable data management tool, or would like to adapt or expand your existing solution? Contact us and we will discuss your concerns without obligation. At CONET, you benefit from many years of project know-how in the SAP area as well as certified consultants. Our SAP consultants will be happy to support you with the following services, depending on your needs:
- free and non-binding initial consulting
- design of a data management strategy
- implementation of SAP Master Data Governance
- personalization and interface design
- training, consulting and support
Feel free to contact our experts with questions about data management and SAP MDG. The initial consulting is free of charge and without obligation.